Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Books

I like to read.

Just so we're clear, that last sentence is an understatement on the same scale as "Space is kinda big." Just ask my wife, who has banned me from getting another bookcase for a while.

Now, we're living in the age of eReaders and tablets, letting us get our books in digital form, but personally, I'm not a big fan of them. Sure, they're great for portability, there are some pretty amazing things being done with reference material in eBooks because you can include cross-references and updates to books that you just can't get with a hard copy. But I want the hard copy. There is simply something about holding the book in your hand, the feel of the page, the words on paper rather than yet another screen. I spend a lot of time staring at computer screens, I'd rather not do so to read a book, too.

When I'm reading a good book in a quiet room, I'm rarely if ever thinking about the room I'm in. Instead, I'm far away and loving it. I have been a voracious reader for most of my life, from early elementary school on through today. I mean, I ran out of books to read for class in middle school and had to work with the librarian to make up tests for other books simply so I could complete my assignments.

Whether classic authors like Orwell or more modern authors like Butcher or Abnett, I've enjoyed all sorts of books, though I'll be the first to admit I lean heavily towards fantasy and science fiction. There have been days when a good book is all that got me through the day, and you'll hardly ever find me without something to read.

Books are amazing things, and I couldn't imagine what life would be like without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment