Monday, April 22, 2013

Dreams

Let's start with a single statement of the obvious: dreams are weird. I think we can all agree on that one. I mean, half the time you're falling from an infinite height into an eternal abyss, the other half you're standing naked in your high school speech class, am I right?

Of course, that's a gross simplification. Emphasis possibly on gross. I mean, most people don't remember many of their dreams. I know I don't. I can count the dreams I recall from my 26 years of life on one hand. Now, one was when I was a kid and just kinda strange (features Droopy the Dog and the house from Casper the Friendly Ghost - please, don't ask; I was five).

One, and probably the most disappointing, was one of those half-awake dreams, and I recall vividly watching a brand new episode of Firefly, possibly from the second season. Unfortunately, there are no new episodes of Firefly, much less a season 2, and I couldn't remember what the plot was about after I got up. Still gets me a little sad thinking about it...

The other two, however, were more significant. Each one gave me a touch of insight into my relationship with my now wife. I won't go into any details here, but I remember each one as if I lived it, even in their strange details - one took place at UAH, but the building was the church I went to back home - and learned some important things that helped me not long afterwards.

So when, this morning, I woke up suddenly to my alarm, remembering only that I'd had a very vivid dream but not having any of the content, I was a tad frustrated. Because dreams are more than just strange visions of your subconcious (though they can be that at times). They are important ways you can learn more about the world you live in, and how you should relate to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment